Sunday 22 November 2015

From the Steppe

Apologies for the lack of posts over the past few weeks. To make up for it here's three in one go!
I've harped on about Caspian Terns before so I won't go there again, but I will say they're always worth a second, third and even fourth look! A pic I did some eighteen months ago when I was trying to get the basics of coloured pencils. The bird's crap but I was pleased with the effects I got whilst working on the background. I was surprised at the rather 'painterly' look and it gave me some idea of what the medium can do. The sketch is much better than the re-drawn bird and was done in the field whilst enjoying the blistering birding of the Kazak steppe a couple of years ago.
Cheers
                            Field sketch of Caspian Tern, near Astana, Kazakhstan, 17th May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment