Saturday 30 April 2016

Daylight Fading

Well. I've decided to name my posts after appropriate songs, as it's easy! A Counting Crows number was chosen for this one. This thrush (guess the species?) was perched up ready for roosting one early evening a few weeks ago. Scoped from my study window with a backdrop of olivey-grey vegetation it made a striking contrast, even with dusk falling. A few colour notes were scribbled down at the time and the pic now does resemble the experience at the time. The challenge, though, was to keep things simple and not get drowned in detail, that and giving a very dark bird some subtle hues so it didn't look one-dimensional. The 'black' was built up with layers of petrel grey, chocolate and black and blended in with a white grey pencil. If it sounds clever it isn't!
I spent loads more time on this than I wanted to, so I've sent a copy to the Spurn OBS report team asking if this type of 'art' will reproduce okay, as I want to submit a couple of pics for their next report. My concern is it will be a load of work for nowt  if it doesn't turn out okay!
Thanks for looking
Russ
                            Study of Blackbird from Study window, sometime in March 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment